I have found this recipe online but I made some changes to make those delicious balls vegan. They are great as appetizer or snack.
- 2 yellow plantains (it makes only 5-6 balls, so if you need more of them use more plantains).
- 8 cups water (to boil plantains, salt is optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup of vegan shredded cheese
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil.
- Leaving the skin on, wash the plantains well. Cut the end tips off the plantains. Leave the peel on, cut the plantains in half. Place the plantains (with skin on) in boiling water.
- Cover and allow plantains to cook over high heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove plantains from heat and drain. Allow plantains to cool and then peel off the skin and discard it.
- In a bowl, mash the peeled plantains together with butter, salt and cornstarch. Allow to cool completely.
- Spread a spoonful of the plantain mix in the palm of your hand. Make an indentation in the middle and stuff it with a bit of vegan cheese.
- Cover the cheese filling with more plantain mix. Shape into a ball.
- Repeat until mix is used up.
- Deep-fry the stuffed plantain balls until golden (about 2 minutes).
- Remove, drain, and cool on paper towels.